Physics A Level at Farlingaye High School
Physics is used to solve problems – health, environmental, social and technological.
It’s about practical applications in the world around us but also involves concepts such as the origins of the universe and the smallest building blocks of the cosmos.
You may wish to consider combining Physics with a Science or Maths course.
- Module 1: Development of practical skills: planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation.
- Module 2: Foundation of Physics: physical quantities, units, measurements, scalars and vectors.
- Module 3: Forces and motion: motion, forces in action, work, energy and power, materials.
- Module 4: Electrons, waves and photons: charge and current, energy, power and resistance, electrical circuits, waves, quantum physics.
- Module 5: Newtonian world and astrophysics: thermal physics, circular motion, oscillations, gravitational fields.
- Module 6: Particles and medica physics: capacitors, electric fields, electromagnetism, nuclear and particle physics, medical imaging.
(GCSE grades) Physics B or Science BB (Higher Tier only).
Students also need a B in Maths. If a C is attained in Maths then the student will require an A in Physics.
They may also be asked to attend a bridging course in July 2016.
- Papers 1 and 2 can assess any content from modules 1 to 4.
- Paper 1 assesses content from modules 1, 2, 3 and 5.
- It is two hours and 15 minutes and is worth 37%.
- Paper 2 assesses content from modules 1, 2, 4 and 6 plus any material appropriately flagged within the specification from modules 3 and 5. It is two hours and 15 minutes and carries a 37% weighting.
- Paper 3 assesses content from modules 1 to 6. It is 90 minutes and is worth 26%.
- Practical endorsement for Physics. This doesn't count towards the final grade but will show on the exam ciertificate as practical skills pass or fail.
Physics can be used to gain entry to careers such as science, technology, law, commerce, engineering and education, to give just a few examples.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farlingaye High School directly.