Further Mathematics A level at Harris Academy Merton
Further Mathematics can only be studied alongside Mathematics
Further Pure 1
Further Pure 2
and 4 optional units from:
- Statistics 1,2,3,4
- Mechanics 1,2,3,4,5
- Decision 1,2
If students intend studying AS Physics in Year 12 they should choose Mechanics 1
In Mechanics students will learn how to describe mathematically the motion of objects and how they respond to forces acting upon them.
In Statistics students will learn a range of methods aimed at sampling, representing and interpreting sets of data. Students will also study Probability and Hypothesis Testing.
In Decision Mathematics students will learn how to solve a range of problems involving networks. A range of Algorithms will enable such problems to be solved.
Standard Sixth Form Entry Requirements:
- To study 4 A levels: must have average GCSE points score of 52+
- To study 3 A levels: must have 7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects
- To study 3 A levels/vocational combination: must have 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or Merit or above in Vocational subjects
- To study vocational level 3 subjects: 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a merit/C/4 grade in a relevant vocational qualification or GCSE
- Extended writing A level subject students will need a combination of at least grades 4 and 5 in English Language and English Literature
Subject specific requirements:
Further Mathematics is only for students who have achieved an A* at GCSE
All of the units are examined by 1 hour 30 minute examination papers during the Summer Examination period.
Throughout the academic year students are formally assessed 6 times. These ALIS Assessment Tasks will be based on mock and actual examination questions.
A Level Mathematics is a much sought after and highly respected qualification, which can open doors to a wide range of Higher Education courses and rewarding careers. Higher Education courses that require A Level Mathematics include Economics, Teaching, Medicine, Psychology, Architecture, Science and Accountancy.
For those students wishing to pursue degree course in Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics may be a requirement. Those interested in Engineering, will also find this a suitable course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Merton directly.