Art and Design A level at Dormers Wells High School
Within each component, students must demonstrate evidence that they have explored critical and contextual work through a range of two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional processes and media.
Component 1: must show clear development from initial intentions to the final outcome or outcomes. It must include evidence of the student’s ability to research and develop ideas and relate their work in meaningful ways to relevant critical/contextual materials.
Component 2: must show evidence of areas of study drawn from one or more of the endorsed titles. The area(s) of study selected for Component 1 can be the same as, or different to, those selected for Component 2.
Skills and techniques
Students will be expected to demonstrate understanding and skills, in the context of their chosen areas of study.
- Fine art: for example drawing, painting, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, installation, printmaking, moving image (video, film, animation) and photography.
- Graphic communication: for example interactive media (including web, app and game design), advertising, packaging design, design for print, illustration, communication graphics, branding, multimedia,
- motion graphics, design for film and television.
- Textile design: for example fashion design, fashion textiles, costume design, digital textiles, printed and/or dyed fabrics and materials, domestic textiles, wallpaper, interior design, constructed textiles, art textiles and installed textiles.
- Three-dimensional design: for example ceramics, sculpture, exhibition design, design for theatre, television and film, interior design, product design, environmental design, architectural design, jewellery/body ornament and 3D digital design.
- Photography: for example portraiture, landscape photography, still life photography, documentary photography, photojournalism, fashion photography, experimental.
- Personal investigation based on an idea, issue, concept or theme, supported by written element of 1000-3000 words.
- 60% of A Level
- The question paper will consist of a choice of eight questions to be used as starting points. Students are required to select one.
- 40% of A Level
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dormers Wells High School directly.