Professional Cookery Advanced (Level 3) at Bedford College
The aim of the course is to develop your culinary skills and enhance your supervisory knowledge in the running of a kitchen environment.
During the course you can study a range of topics, including:
- Establishing and developing positive working relationships in hospitality
- Maintaining the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex fish dishes
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex meat dishes
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex poultry dishes
- Cooking and finishing complex vegetable dishes
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex hot sauces
- Preparing, cooking and finishing dressings and cold sauces
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex soups.
You will also study essential Functional Skills to help you complete the course and prepare for employment and higher level study.
To begin this course you should have successfully completed the Professional Cookery City & Guilds Diploma Level 2, or have equivalent industrial experience. Relevant work experience would be an advantage but is not essential. You will undertake a skills assessment to determine the support you need to be successful on your course. If you are over the age of 21 you may gain entry to the course subject to a successful interview, and will be considered individually on your experience rather than your qualifications.
There are no formal examinations for this course; however, you are required to record evidence of practical assessments and complete written assessments for each unit.
On successful completion of this course you can progress onto a HNC/HND course in a related subject, or seek employment in the hospitality and catering industry.
This course will involve attending practical classes and theory workshops; practical sessions will include training and assessments in the restaurant production kitchen, where protective clothing will be required. If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, there are additional costs associated with some courses. To take part in this course there will be an additional fee of £10 for required clothing and £20 for the Good Food Show trip.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bedford College directly.