A Level Further Mathematics at Ilfracombe Academy
Further Pure Maths 1 and 2
- Summation of series; Mathematical induction; Roots of polynomial equations; Complex numbers; Matrices
- Rational functions and graphs; Polar coordinates; Hyperbolic functions; Differentiation and integration; Numerical methods
- Force as a vector; Equilibrium of a particle; Kinematics of motion in a straight line; Newton’s laws of motion; Linear momentum.
Probability and Statistics 2 and 3
- Continuous random variables; The normal distribution; The Poisson distribution; Sampling and hypothesis tests.
- Continuous random variables; Linear combinations of random variables; Confidence intervals and the t distribution; Difference of population means and proportions; Chi squared tests.
Decision Mathematics 2
- Game theory; Flows in a network; Matching and allocation problems; Critical path analysis; Dynamic programming.
Grade B or preferably better at GCSE. It is particularly difficult to study Further Maths if a student has not studied Higher Level GCSE Maths. Please discuss with the Head of Department.
Mathematics provides the tools for many of the Science based subjects in higher education. Some A Level courses naturally combine well with Mathematics, especially Physics or Chemistry. It is hoped that those students who take such A Levels as Geography and Biology will find the statistical modules particularly relevant. Mathematics is a useful subject for many careers and University courses.
Possible careers include Accountancy, Medicine, Business and Finance, Banking, Teaching, Architecture, Engineering and Market Research.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ilfracombe Academy directly.