Philosophy and Ethics AS/A Level at South Holderness Technology College
Why is this subject so valuable?
* Philosophy and Ethics provides you with life skills as well as academic skills.
* It shows you understand the world, life and people - every job needs this.
* It gives meaning, purpose and understanding to life.
* Covers moral issues in the light of different religious, agnostic and atheistic viewpoints.
* Allows you to acquire and develop skills that universities and employers look for.
AS – Philosophy and Ethics
1. PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION: Philosophical arguments for the existence of God; the problems of evil and suffering; and debates about miracles.
2. THE STUDY OF ETHICS: How we know what is right and what is wrong; the connection between religion & morality; utilitarianism - the idea of the greater good; Situation Ethics; and Sexual Ethics.
3. AN IN-DEPTH STUDY OF A TOPIC OF YOUR CHOICE ON MEDICAL ETHICS: It could be: euthanasia, abortion, organ transplantation, suicide, cloning, stem cell research, surrogacy, IVF, animal experimentation/ rights within medicine.
A2 – Philosophy and Theology
1. Philosophy: Arguments for and against the belief in God; religious experience; and life after death.
2. Theology: The Kingdom of God; the Purpose of Luke’s Gospel - Universal Salvation; Conflict with Religious & Political Authorities; Crucifixion and Resurrection.
3. Anthology on Theology that links AS & A2 modules of study.
5 GCSEs A-C grade including Maths and English
No prior knowledge required for this AS/A2 course. Anyone of any, or no religious persuasion, can take it. A grade C or above in GCSE English is required.
1 hour 45 minute examination on Philosophy and Ethics
1 hour 15 minute examination on Medical Ethics
1 hour 45 minute examination on Philosophy and Theology
1 hour 15 minute examination on the Anthology
The skills and knowledge you obtain will set you apart from the crowd when you apply for higher education or employment. It shows you are a wellrounded individual. This subject can lead to a career in: Law, Counselling, Teaching and/or Lecturing, Criminology, Medicine, Child/Adult Psychology, Social Services, Police Force, Management, Business and many more. Specification subject to change for September 2016. Please attend the Sixth Form Open Evening for more information.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Holderness Technology College directly.