Music Edexcel AS and A Level at Larkmead School
This subject is still a legacy A level. This means that the result of the AS exams contributes 50% to the overall A level marks, the second 50% coming from exams at the end of year 13 on the A2 modules.
Performing, Composing, Developing Musical Understanding
Extended Performance, Composition and Technical Study, Further Musical Understanding
- Performance through instrumental lessons and mentoring.
- Composition through teaching, guidance, practice, analysing other music and monitored coursework.
- Musical understanding though listening, investigation, research, analysis of set works and discussion.
Skills you will need:
- Ability to perform on an instrument or sing
- Ability to read music in treble and bass clef
- Ability to work independently
- Good organisational skills and flexible approach to learning
- At least Grade 5 on an instrument or voice
- A willingness to attend a number of evening concerts through the year
To study AS/A Levels you will normally need: A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above.
- Performance – final concert (internally assessed and externally moderated)
- Composing – coursework (externally assessed)
- Musical Understanding – final exam (externally assessed
Music A-level course could take you on to further study in Music and the Performing Arts at any university and then take your career in Music and the Arts further. Music A-level also proves that you are a confident outgoing person, able to meet deadlines and work independently and will prepare you for any job or course other than Music.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Larkmead School directly.