Horticulture Apprenticeship Level 1 Diploma at West Lancashire College
The Level 1 Diploma in Horticulture gives you the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification that you may use to enter employment in practical horticulture or as an entry onto higher level further education programmes.
The course is designed for people wanting to start a career in horticulture by developing their practical skills as well as a wide range of personal, interpersonal and work-related skills.
You will study:
- Preparing ground for sowing or planting under supervision
- Plant container grown subjects
- Prepare soil and apply organic mulch
- Water a bed, border or area of plants in containers
- Cultivate land by single digging or forking
- Applying fertilizer by hand to bare ground
- Determine soil PH with colour indicator test kit under supervision
- Planting flower bulbs for naturalization or bedding
- Prepare and plant a hanging baskets
- Prepare and plant container for displays
- Prepare and plant a container for display
- Care for planted area
- Prune hedges by hand
- Sow seeds outsdoors in drills by hand
- Sow seeds indoors in containers
- Identify weeds
- Identify annuals and herbaceous perennials
- Build or repair a dry stone wall
Functional Skills will also form an important part of your course with evidence generated from the units.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
Generally there are no formal entry requirements, but candidates will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the course. We are interested in your enthusiasm and commitment to succeed.
The Practical Horticulture course is delivered through guided learning and instruction, projects and practical experience.
You will be assessed through unit assignments, performance observation and practical work based assessment.
Employment at a practical level in Landscape Maintenance, Landscape Construction, Grounds Maintenance, Amenity and Sportsturf Maintenance or Plant production.
Level 2 Diploma in Horticulture.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.