History A Level at Stockton Sixth Form College
Why study History?
- It will give me a real insight into the incredible variety of ways in which people have lived in the past
- It can teach me how to argue convincingly and how to spot the weaknesses in other people’s arguments
- I have an interest in the past and a willingness to find out more
- I will learn how to research and to extract information from a variety of sources.
You will examine two periods of History
The Tudors in England
- You will examine the reigns of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I
America – A Nation Divided, 1845-1877
- You will examine the origins of the American Civil War, the war itself and the beginnings of the civil rights movement
You will also complete one piece of coursework. The choice of the topic will be up to you. You will be able to select an area of history that you are interested in, as long as there is a debate, and you will carry out independent research.
Stockton Sixth Form College prides itself on having options for students of different abilities, and would advise any prospective student interested in applying, whatever their predicted grades, to get in touch so that a suitable programme of study can be discussed.
The college has a flexible timetable whereby almost all combinations of subjects are possible. Students will be advised of any non-compatible subject choices, if appropriate, at enrolment.
By examination and through one piece of coursework.
History is a well-regarded qualification which can lead on to many university degrees. It is particularly useful as a preparation for careers which require you to think critically such as law, management and journalism.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stockton Sixth Form College directly.