Physical Education AS/A2 Level at The Basildon Academies Sixth Form
The aim of this course is to develop an understanding and appreciation
of the factors that enable both them and others to be physically active
as part of a balanced, active and healthy lifestyle.
You will learn to evaluate:
- key factors influencing involvement in physical activity
- the impact that contemporary products have on young people’s involvement in physical activity
- the impact that consumer focused influences have on young people’s involvement in physical activity
AS level students take:
An introduction to Physical Education
- Anatomy and Physiology (body systems; motion and movement)
- Acquiring Movement Skills (motor skills; information processing; learning skills)
- Socio-cultural Studies relating to participation in physical activity (physical activity; sport and culture; contemporary sporting issues)
Acquiring, developing and evaluating practical skills in Physical Education
- two chosen activities from two different activity profiles.
At A2 level students take:
Principles and concepts across different areas of Physical Education
- Socio-cultural options (historical and comparative studies)
- Scientific options (sports psychology, biomechanics, exercise and sports physiology)
The improvement of effective performance and the critical evaluation of practical activities in Physical Education
- practical skills
General Sixth form inc.
PE GCSE Grade C or above.
Externally assessed - Unit 451
2 hour written exam
60% of AS grade
(30% of A2 grade)
Internally assessed and externally moderated - Unit 452
40% of AS grade
(20% of A2 grade)
Externally assessed - Unit 453
2½ hour written exam
35% of A2 grade
Internally assessed and externally moderated - Unit 454
15% of A2 grade
Physical Education combines well with a range of subjects depending on
your chosen career pathway. For example if you are perusing a career as
a Physiotherapist you should combine this course with A Level Biology,
English and Mathematics. For a career in Sports Business Management you
should combine this course with an A Level Science, English and History.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Basildon Academies Sixth Form directly.