Electrotechnical Technology (Buildings & Structures): Level 3 City & Guilds at NESCOT
This course offers learners the opportunity to acquire at advanced level the theory and practical skills involved in the Building Services Engineering industry for electrical installation procedures and practices.
This course has been designed to provide progression for those wishing to start a career in the Building Services Engineering sector in electrotechnical technology or gain a Level 3 qualification in Electrical Installation.
Learners will need to have an interest in Building Services Engineering procedures and processes, with a keen enthusiasm towards learning electrotechnical regulations, principles of electrical science, commissioning and fault diagnosis and rectification.
This qualification does not demonstrate competence to be a qualified electrician but will support the learner’s progression to further study.
What will I learn?
The qualification covers the key aspects of working within the Building Services industry to include the underpinning knowledge and practical skills for electrical installation work.
- Health and safety in building services engineering
- Understand the fundamental principles and requirements of environmental technology systems
- Principles of electrical science
- Electrical installations: fault diagnosis and rectification
- Electrical installations: inspection, testing and commissioning
- Electrical systems design
- Career awareness in building services engineering
Successful completion of the Electrical Installation Level 2 course and two GCSEs in maths and English at grade C or above. Science GCSE would also be an advantage due to the electrical principles involved in this course.
All learners will be informally interviewed and will need to provide a recent progress report demonstrating good attendance, punctuality, attitude and behaviour.
Your work will be assessed by written and practical assignments at intervals throughout the course.
Any fees to be advised upon enrolment.
Where will this qualification lead?
On successful completion of this course, learners may wish to progress on to the following electrotechnical qualifications:
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment [Buildings, Structures and the Environment] work based apprenticeship programme.
- Level 3 Award in the Requirements of Electrical Installations [BS7671: 2008 (2011)]
- Level 3 Award in In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical equipment
- Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
- Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
- Level 4 Award in Design and Verification of Electrical Installations
Learners will be expected to provide essential stationery items such as pens, pencils, ruler, calculator, A4 note pad and folder.
To meet the requirements for health & safety in our workshop, steel toe-capped boots will be a necessity. Tools and materials for practical tasks will be provided by NESCOT.
Learners will be encouraged and expected to undertake tasks to support their learning outside of their course. Access to a PC and internet would be an advantage however these resources are available in the Learning Resource Centre at the college.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NESCOT directly.