Hairdressing and Barbering Level 1 at Calderdale College
This course is designed for people who may be contemplating a career in hairdressing. It will help you gain valuable insights into the industry and will develop useful basic skills..
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence in the area that you choose. The course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. All learners will have the opportunity to engage in one week work experience in industry and all learners at some point during the course will work on the reception and dispensary. All learners will complete functional skills.
- The units covered:
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector – career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself, communicate and behave in a professional environment.
- Shampoo and Condition Hair – prepare the client for the service, be able to select the appropriate type of shampoo and conditioner for the hair type and how to shampoo and condition the clients hair professionally
- Plaiting & Twisting – create on scalp and off scalp plaits and twists using a variety of methods such as pipe cleaners and adding ribbon and decoration
- Styling Women’s Hair – straightening, smoothing, curling, hair up, blow-drying, setting, pin curling, finger drying
- The Art of Colouring Hair – using temporary and semi-permanent colour to create coloured hair effects
- Salon Reception Duties – receiving client, checking appointments, seating clients, taking care of clients’ belongings, giving service at reception – beverages, magazines, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
4 GCSE’s at grade D to G. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements. You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed. You wil also have an interview with specialist tutor.
The course is based on development and assessment of practical skills, underpinning knowledge which is assignment work and online tests. Completion of assessments builds a portfolio of evidence.
In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
You may choose to go into employment and complete a Level 2 qualification in hairdressing through the Apprenticeship route or full time at college.
Please complete an application form and return it to us at the following freepost address:-
Calderdale College Central Admissions Unit, FREEPOST HX2 004, Francis Street, Halifax, HX1 3BR
or click on the link to apply online: www.calderdale.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Calderdale College directly.