IT (Software Development) - BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at City and Islington College
This course helps you to develop the professional skills needed by businesses using IT systems.
In Year 1, you will focus on developing transferable skills in a variety of business and IT work-related scenarios. You will develop program design and practical programming skills. You will also cover mathematics, data security, web and multimedia design, employability skills, and understanding the role of IT in Business. You will use software tools such as Microsoft Access, Excel and Microsoft Project to solve complex business problems.
- Computer Systems. This unit will help you to understand, specify, and justify the key components that make a modern personal computer system.
- Software Design and Development. During this unit, you will apply techniques and methods to create program solutions.
- Website Authoring. During this unit, you will plan, design, create and evaluate a sophisticated website.
- Mathematics for IT. This unit will enable you to apply mathematical techniques to solve business and IT-related problems.
Year 2 will focus on developing analytical, design and evaluative skills. You will cover advanced programming concepts and techniques and will have the opportunity to create a simple game using Apple`s X Code software for the iPad. You will also work on a project to meet a specific business need. This will involve producing a specification and design, which you will use to create either a website, database, spreadsheet, or complex multimedia presentation.
- Object Oriented Development. In this unit, you will design and develop programmes using attributes and methods using Microsoft C#.
To apply for this course, you need:
at least four GCSEs at grade A-C including science, English and maths, or
- DIDA (4 GCSE Edexcel equivalent), or
- BTEC Diploma with Merit or Distinction, or
- relevant work experience.
- You must also have very good communication skills.
You will produce a portfolio of work for each units, which will form the basis of your assessment. This will keep you informed on how you're doing, where you need to improve your skills, and what your specialisms should be.
Following successful completion of the course, you can progress to a degree course in IT, Business Information Systems, Computer Science, Multimedia/Web Design, Software Design, and Networking. The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diplomas equivalent to three A Levels (up to 360 UCAS points), and students are regarded favourably by universities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City and Islington College directly.