Maintenance and Repair (Light/Heavy) Intermediate Apprenticeship at Gateshead College
The vehicle maintenance and repair sector has several routes within the Apprenticeship at level two and cover the following areas:
- Light vehicle route, where technicians primarily maintain and repair cars and light commercial sectors where vehicles do not exceed 3500kgs.
- Heavy vehicle route, where technicians maintain and repair large goods vehicles exceeding 3500kgs permissible maximum weight.
Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (Light Vehicles)
The light vehicle technician represents the largest single group of personnel in the industry, working on vehicles not exceeding 3500kgs. Typical activities are identified as follows:
- Carry out routine vehicle maintenance - conducting scheduled examinations, and make adjustments and replacements items and components and service vehicles
- Fault finding - carrying out the identification of mechanical faults.
- Rectify simple system faults by replacing and testing components and units.
- Inspect vehicles - carrying out standard tests and record results.
Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (Heavy Vehicles)
The heavy vehicle technician is responsible for servicing and maintaining vehicles exceeding 3500kgs permissible maximum weight. Typical activities are the same as those listed for light vehicle above.
You should have 4 GCSE grades A-D to include a communication and maths subject. Equivalent qualifications would be considered.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.