Business Studies A Level at St Francis of Assisi Catholic Technology College
‘A’ Level Business is a fantastic opportunity for anybody who wants to learn in an interesting way about the world of work and business. You do not have to have studied Business at GCSE level to be successful on this course as many past students have demonstrated. Students will learn how to investigate business situations and recommend strategic solutions from a manager’s viewpoint.
Year 12 Learning
Students will initially learn why and how entrepreneurs start business enterprises and the forms of business ownership they choose to set up. Students will then investigate and learn about how businesses are run in a wide variety of functional areas, including:
- Marketing e.g. market research, product development and promotion
- Human resources e.g. recruitment, payment, training and motivation
- Finance e.g. raising finance, cash flow management and measuring profitability
- Operations e.g. stock control, quality management and the use of new technology
Year 13 Learning
Students will investigate the wider strategic and long-term issues affecting business performance and competitiveness, including:
- Government e.g. UK government and EU controls
- Economic conditions e.g. the effects of interest rate and economic growth changes on business
- International trade and competition and multi-national enterprises
- New technology e.g. digital marketing, new production processes
- Business and society e.g. the environment and business ethics
The course will be assessed by two examinations in Year 12. Students take three examinations at the end of Year 13. The questions will be in the form of data response questions to real life business case studies and by longer essay-style questions. Students will be prepared for this form of assessment by class and independent study activities over the two years of the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Francis of Assisi Catholic Technology College directly.