Psychology AS & A Level at Caterham High School
The AQA Syllabus includes a range of interesting topics such as:
- Approaches: Different ways of studying Psychology
- Biopsychology: Scientific explanations of how the brain works
- Memory: How we remember things and why we forget
- Attachment: Explaining attachment between mothers and babies.
- Social Psychology: Why some people do as they are told, whilst others don’t
- Scientific Research Methods
- Relationships: Why people are attracted to each other? Why do we fall in love? Why do some relationships last whereas others break up?
- Abnormal Psychology: The causes and treatment of psychiatric illness
- Aggression: What causes aggression? Why are some people more aggressive?
This is the perfect course for someone who is good at Maths and Science but also enjoys discussion and writing. The departmental staff are very experienced and the lessons are interesting and well organised. You will find that your knowledge of psychology helps you to understand people better and improves your self-confidence. Skills learned in Psychology will help you to get better results in other subjects as you will be able to improve your own mental processes.
Students should have grade B/ grade 5 or above in GCSE Mathematics, English and Science.
Psychology is one of the most popular subjects in schools and universities because it is fun to study and useful in a wide range of professions. Modern Psychology Includes elements of neuro-science, evolutionary theory and genetics. Universities regard it as a science, with equal status to Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
This course is ideal for those who wish to study medicine, or clinical psychology as well as a wide range of other careers such as educational psychology, forensic psychology, nursing, social work, teaching, counselling, human resource management, educational psychology, criminology, politics, public relations, advertising and journalism.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Caterham High School directly.