Plumbing Advanced Apprenticeship at JTL
.Plumbers put in, look after and fix the plumbing inside and outside buildings. The exact job depends on the employer, though all plumbers have the skills and knowledge to get the job done properly and safely.
A plumber will need to be able to:
- work at height
- work alone or with little supervision
- build relationships
- read building and engineering drawings
- understand heating control wiring and circuit diagrams
- choose materials and equipment
- inspect and test installations
- diagnose and fix faults
- write reports
- EAL Plumbing (Domestic) NVQ Levels 2 & 3
- City & Guilds 6129 Certificate in Domestic Plumbing
Studies Levels 2 & 3
- Level 2 Application of Numbers and Level 2 Communication
Functional (Essential) skills
- CORGI Gas ACS assessment
Plumbers can operate in the industry at two levels; either Basic Craft (Level 2) or Advanced Craft (Level 3).
JTL therefore offers an Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship for plumbers with the Advanced Apprenticeship lasting approximately four years, where the Intermediate level is achieved 'en-route-after approximately two years.
As part of the JTL plumbing apprenticeship, you'll be in full time employment with a local company receiving a decent wage from day one. You'll spend time learning your trade by gaining hands-on experience working on-site with your employer, as well as attending a JTL approved college or training centre to learn the theoretical knowledge you will need.
We have said that the government requires all 'Apprenticeships' to be built around a framework and for the Advanced Apprenticeship, government requires the framework to reflect a higher level of competence and knowledge, namely:
- An NVQ at Level 3 (the competence part)
- A knowledge based element at Level 3
- Transferable Skills at Level 2
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills
- Any industry specific requirements
For plumbers, the structure of QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) as it applies to both heating and plumbing, at both Level 2 and Level 3 is shown below:
There are a few things you need to know before you set your heart on a JTL apprenticeship. They are:
- You need to be aged 16 to 23.
- If you’re over 19 your employer may need to put money towards your studies.
- You can apply for an apprenticeship while in education. But you need to have left before starting with us.
- You also need an employer before you can start an apprenticeship. Though you can apply before you’ve arranged one.
- You can’t join the scheme if you’re colour blind. Sorry, it’s too risky for you.
Attend College to study City & Guilds Technical Certificate.
Attend College to study Key Skills.
NVQ Level 3 undertaken with employer under the guidance of a JTL Training Officer.
Once you've qualified you could gain experience working on exciting projects like an Olympic stadium or an international airport and end up running the show. You could choose to study further in a specialist area and find yourself leading the field. Scale the heights on a challenging project abroad. Or be the boss in the future by setting up your own successful business.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact JTL directly.