Sociology AS level at Havering Sixth Form College
The study of Sociology can be a life-changing experience. Sociologists are passionately interested in the world around us, and this exciting and challenging course is for the curious and open-minded learner, with the enthusiasm and desire to develop the skills necessary to challenge socially constructed ideas. Sociologists reflect on shared behaviours and the social forces at play, not only in Western societies but in cultures around the world, encouraging the growth of the empathetic sociological imagination.
You can expect to study:
- Families and Households - Examining the family, its role in society and the division of labour in the home
- Education - Analysing the history of education and achievement according to social class, ethnicity and gender
- Sociological Research Methods - examining how sociologists go about investigating society. Assessing research methods such as surveys, interviews and participant observation
- Paper 1: Education with Methods in Context
- Paper 2 Research Methods and Topics in Sociology
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE, C Grade English GCSE.
Exam Board –AQA
£5 - A charge for workbooks/revision booklets.
This is a general qualification and therefore allows students to progress into a wide variety of occupations including journalism, law, the police force, teaching, nursing, health, media and accountancy, management and public relations.
In addition, students have combined Sociology with a range of subjects including Biology, French, Psychology, History, Religious Studies, Law, English and Business Studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.