Applied Science BTEC level 3 Diploma at Haberdashers' Aske's Knights Academy
This course will offer you the chance to further your studies of science that takes a different approach from the traditional A level route. You will explore the practical side of Science, with an emphasis on medical application.
On the course you will:
- carry out practical laboratory procedures
- plan and perform your own investigations
- visit hospitals and industries
- attend a one-week work placement
- explore the role of a Science Technician
- Principles and Application of Science- external
- Practical scientific procedures and techniques
- Science investigation skills- external
- Laboratory techniques and their application
- Principles and applications of science II- externa
- Investigative project
Optional units (choose 2):
- Physiology of human body systems
- Human regulation and reproduction
- Biological molecules and metabolic pathways
- Genetics and genetic engineering
- Diseases and infections
- Applications of inorganics chemistry
- Applications of organic chemistry
- Electrical circuits and their application
- Astronomy and space science
- Microbiology and microbiological techniques
- Industrial chemical reactions
- Practical chemical analysis
- Biomedical science
- Medical physics applications
- Materials science
- Forensic evidence, collection and analysis
Four or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including science and either Mathematics or English Language.
Students currently taking a Level 2 vocational course will need a full Level 2 Extended Certificate with merit or higher in a related subject, a grade C in either English Language or Mathematics, and one other subject.
In some circumstances improved performance in Functional Skills may be accepted where a GCSE has not yet been achieved.
Assessment is through internally assessed assignments (58%) and external assessment (42%).
On completion of this programme, you will be equipped to enter employment as a Science Technician or for university courses in related subjects.
Ideal careers include technical work such as:
- Medical Laboratory Analysis,
- Biomedical Science,
- Forensic Science,
- Research and Education,
- Dental Hygiene
This course will not however provide you with the qualifications to study Medicine at university.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Haberdashers' Aske's Knights Academy directly.