Accessibility links

Art - Textile Design A level at Walton High

Course description

Students will produce practical and critical explorations of Textiles. Looking at analytical and contextual work in one or more areas including fashion, printed and/or dyed fabrics and materials, domestic textiles, wallpaper, interior design, constructed textiles and installed textiles.

Why study Textile Design?

Do you enjoy Textile Design and have a passion for fabrics, threads and all kinds of fibres? Do you take pleasure in experimenting with colour, texture and pattern? Then this course is for you.

You will gain knowledge, skills, and enjoyment studying the following:

  • Learn the basic elements of art and design
  • Improve your skills in sewing, surface pattern, embroidery, painting, printing, constructing textiles, felting, weaving and fabric manipulation.

You will also learn how to progress your studies from initial ideas through to final outcomes and how to present those outcomes to achieve their maximum visual impact.

Course content

The course is split into 2 units, a personal investigation, which is 60% of the grade and an externally set assignment makes up the remaining 40%.

Students can work in various areas, such as fashion, printed and/or dyed fabrics and materials, domestic textiles, wallpaper, interior design, constructed textiles and installed textiles.

Entry requirements

8 GCSEs (A*-C) or above, including English and Maths. Grade C or above in a relevant GCSE. Such as Art or Textiles. Students who have studied Level 2 BTEC Art and Design will require at least a Merit.

Assessment

15 hour exam in year 13, to produce a final piece.

Future opportunities

Textiles Design can lead to courses in higher education and foundation courses. This in turn could lead to a Textile specialism at degree level, including Textile Design, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Millinery, Costume Design, Textile Artist/ Illustrator and Teaching.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Walton High directly.

Last updated date: 03 October 2016
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues