Motor Vehicle Service & Repair Level 2 at Gateshead College
This study programme will give you the technical skills needed to work in today’s motor vehicle repair industry, including the diagnosis of non-complex system faults.
It's a very practical course and you'll get hands-on experience working on the latest models.
The programme provides essential knowledge for those who want to work as a vehicle technician in all types of dealerships and maintenance depots and garages.
You'll gain practical skills and knowledge in all aspects of motor vehicle, from brakes and suspension components to engines and fuel systems including:
- Carrying out routine vehicle maintenance
- Removing and replacing
- Engine units and components
- Electrical auxiliary units and components
- Chassis units and components.
You'll also gain knowledge of electric and hybrid vehicles and air conditioning and undertake a work experience placement with one of our employer partners, giving you extra skills to boost your CV.
Maths and English
Employers demand good English and maths skills. So as part of this study programme you'll English and maths sessions and have the opportunity to improve your GCSE grades if you need to.
- Level 1 Service and Repair or a good level of practical experience and an interview.
- We welcome all applicants without any prior experience or knowledge in this area.
- You will need motivation to achieve and have a passion to gain skills enabling you to progress this as a career in the future.
- Practical tasks and projects which will create a portfolio of practical evidence that you can use in interviews
- Online exams
- Written assignments and coursework.
As a technician, your duties would include:
- Finding and identifying faults
- Advising customers if repairs are needed and how critical they are
- Providing time and cost estimates for jobs
- Carrying out repairs and replacing damaged parts
- Road testing the vehicle to check the repair work
- Fitting and servicing accessories like radios and alarms
- Carrying out routine servicing and checks.
As vehicles become more sophisticated, you could specialise in repairing the technology used to control vehicle systems.
As an experienced technician, you could carry out MOT tests or convert traditional engines to liquid petroleum gas (LPG). You might also have the opportunity for work such as customising vehicles in line with owners' instructions.
Fast track to an apprenticeships
Over 90% of our students progress to one of our Level 3 qualifications or secure an apprenticeship with one of our employer partners including Nissan, Benfield Motors, Springfield, Lotus and Aston Martin Workshops.
This qualification forms the knowledge component or technical certificate of the Service and Repair Advanced Apprenticeship, You can start on this programme and fast track to an apprenticeship once a vacancy becomes available and you're ready. Sign up to our apprenticeship alerts and we'll keep you updated on the latest apprenticeship vacancies. Plus our team will help you write your CV or application and prepare for interviews.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.