Engineering Design Level 3 Diploma at Bath College
The Foundation Diploma is a one year course comprising seven units with its own qualification and is a pre-curser for the Extended Diploma which is a further year of study comprising 15 units in total. Both programmes integrate the academic aspects of engineering with the practical design requirements of modern industry. The programmes are modular, covering a broad range of engineering and academic units with a strong practical design emphasis, which will enable you to apply the theory to solve real engineering problems. Completion of the course will enable you to go directly into employment within local industry or progress to university.
The extended diploma course consists of 15 unit modules over two years with an A-level Maths option for those who wish to progress to university. The second year may offer mechanical or electrical options, for those who wish to specialise.
- Engineering product design and manufacture
- A specialist engineering project
- Engineering principles
- Design for moving parts
- Computer aided design in engineering
- Microcontroller systems for engineers
- Pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Calculus to solve engineering problems
- Applied commercial and quality principles in engineering
- Delivery of engineering processes safely as a team
Four full GCSEs to include the following;
- Maths at grade B or above
- English at grade C or above
- Science at grade C or above
- A fourth preferable subject at grade C or above would be Physics, Chemistry, DT or any other technical subject.
There is a mix of classroom and laboratory work. The emphasis is to develop strong independent learning skills which will fit students for both employment and university. Your work and progress will be continuously assessed by a range of methods, which may include written assignments, projects, case studies, presentations, written and oral exams and other practical exercises. There will be externally assessed, end-of-year examinations for some modules on this programme.
Progress to higher education on one of our HNC or HND programmes or at university
Move on to employment in the engineering industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bath College directly.