Level 2 Professional Cookery Apprenticeship at Leeds City College
This apprenticeship is ideal for anyone who wants to establish a career in the catering and hospitality industry.
It will enable the apprentice to develop a greater depth of practical and theoretical skills in hospitality.
You will train in such as roles as Kitchen Assistants, Cooks and Chefs in large volume, fine dining/casual dining settings or in a range of cuisines; this includes Craft, Asian and Oriental cuisine.
The advantage of an apprenticeship is that it will allow you to work and gain a qualification at the same time as experiencing the industry.
In order to achieve a full Apprenticeship you must successfully complete the different parts of the framework over 18 to 24 months.
This consists of sector related industry qualifications:
Competence and Knowledge qualification:
Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (QCF)
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Prepare, cook and finish fish for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish shellfish for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish meats for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish poultry for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish game for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish offal for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish vegetables for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish dried ingredients prior to cooking
- Prepare, cook and finish hot sauces and soups
- Prepare and mix spice and herb blends
- Make basic stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic rice dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pulse dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic vegetable protein dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic egg dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish basic grain dishes
- Produce healthier dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
- Prepare, cook and finish Dim Sum
- Prepare, cook and finish noodle dishes
- Prepare, and cook food using a Tandoor
- Complete Kitchen documentation
- Set up and close Kitchen
The Optional units are chosen by the employer to reflect your job role
Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery) - QCF
Functional Skills qualifications
- Level 1 Functional Skill in English
- Level 1 Functional Skill in Maths
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
A rigorous recruitment and selections process is carried out to ensure that the aspiring apprentices are suited to enduring this exciting and challenging route of study. GCSE grade A-C in English and Maths would be an advantage.
However if you cannot provide evidence of this then you will be required to sit an online assessment test. Employment in a catering establishment.
A wide range of assessment methods are used both in the classroom environment and workplace. Evidence reflects how you have carried out the process relating to your competence.
For example: The process that you carry out could be recorded in an observation or witness testimony. Products relating to your competence could be minutes of a meeting, e mails, letters, manufacturing instructions, photos and health and safety checks.
Different forms of questioning are carried out on an on-going part of the assessment process.
Search and apply online for our current vacancies or alternatively you can complete the online application form or e-mail a copy of your cv to the Apprenticeship Recruitment Team.
Contact us on: T: 0113 216 2337 / 0113 308 7918
Appreniceship routes can change throughout the year, keep up to date online
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.