Health and Social Care Apprenticeship (Level 2 Intermediate and Level 3 Advanced) at Blackburn College
Health and Social care is about helping people with diverse needs and ages. This type of care takes place anywhere in the community, from people in their own homes to clinics, surgeries, hostels, communal living, hospitals, rest homes and nursing homes.
You must also be willing to undergo disclosure and barring service checks (this is needed as apprentices are likely to work with children, young people or vulnerable adults).
Candidates can undertake one of three optional pathways
- Adults with learning difficulties
Selection of units from the Health & Social Care Apprenticeship:
- Introduction to communication in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Introduction to personal development in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Introduction to duty of care in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care
- The role of the health and social care worker
- Contribute to health and safety in health and social care
- Handle information in health and social care settings
There are no specific entry requirements to study an Apprenticeship at Blackburn College. You will have an initial assessment when you come in for an interview, and this will show the level of English and maths qualifications, known as functional skills, that you will study alongside your apprenticeship.
Blackburn College will work with applicants to help find a suitable employer where possible. However we always advise anyone looking to undertake an apprenticeship to be actively seeking employment for themselves too.
You will be assessed in one or more of the following ways:
- Workplace observations
- Exams (Functional Skills)
- Portfolio of evidence
Completion of the Advanced Apprenticeship will stand you in good stead for progression on to higher education in subjects like Nursing, Operating Department Practitioner roles and Management roles. Students also have the chance to progress onto a Level 5 Leadership and Management in Care Services qualification, or a foundation degree in health related studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Blackburn College directly.