Product Design A-Level at John Port School
A-level Design and Technology: Product Design (3-D Design) helps students take a broad view of design and technology, develop their capacity to design and make products and appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing.
- How to develop initial design solutions, develop, test and trial working models and prototypes
- Develop and sustain imagination, innovation and flair when working with concepts and materials
- Develop an understanding of contemporary design and technological practices and consider the uses and effects of new technologies and modern materials
- Develop thinking skills, financial capability, enterprise and entrepreneurial skills
Students studying for the A2 unit will build on the skills developed in the AS course. The major project coursework provides students with the opportunity to undertake a detailed design and make task tailored to the individual interests of the student.
The project context entails a wide range of skills:
- primary and secondary research
- generation of a detailed specification
- idea development
- communication skills
- manufacturing techniques
In addition to the general entry requirement for the Sixth Form, the minimum requirement for the AS course is a GCSE grade C from a Design and Technology subject. Students to have also completed the transition project up to the manufacture planning which will be integral to the first 4 weeks of the course and be used in part for the submission of AS coursework folio.
What can I do after this course?
After AS you can do A2 Product Design course; employment in the Design field; relevant college courses; accredited point score towards UCAS applications. 27 After A2, you can do a Design related degree courses, for example; architecture, teaching, graphics design, product design, automotive design, furniture design etc. Accredited point score towards UCAS applications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Port School directly.