Brickwork Level 3 Apprenticeship at Somerset College
The Level 3 Diploma develops learners’ bricklaying skills at an advanced level. The course covers a wide range of skills that are required for industry. With a large focus on practical skills, you will be taught and set practical tasks that require the production of complex masonry work.
The course mandatory units you will study are:
- Analysing the construction industry and built environment
- Analysing technical construction information
- Repair and maintain masonry structures
- Health, safety and welfare
Two optional units will be studied from the following:
- Construct chimneys and fireplace structures
- Construct complex masonry structures
- Construct decorative masonry features
Entrants to this course will normally have undertaken the Level 2 Diploma in Brickwork. Acceptance is via interview and prior experience will be taken into consideration.
Your bricklaying and masonry knowledge and skills will be assessed in a range of ways including:
- Observation of your practical work
- End of unit practical tests (marked against industry standards)
- Production of a portfolio of your knowledge and practical work
- Online multiple-choice end of unit knowledge tests
- Practical and knowledge workbooks
You can gain employment and work towards an NVQ qualification in the workplace with an employer.
You could progress on to a higher level construction course. The College has a range of design, supervisory and management construction courses up to Level 7. These include, National Diplomas, HNCs and civil engineering qualifications.
Gain employment with a construction company or enter the industry as a self-employed tradesperson. You could then work your way up to a supervisory or site management position.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.