Geography A Level at Bingley Grammar School
- Are you interested in the earth’s places, peoples, environments and societies?
- Do you enjoy being analytical and solving problems?
- Do you want to become more socially, environmentally and economically aware?
We study the AQA A-Level course which covers a variety of physical and human topics and generic geographical skills.
- Physical Geography: Water & Carbon Cycles*, Hazards* and Coastal environments.
- Human Geography: Changing Places*, Urban Environments and Global Governance
- Geographical Skills: OS map skills & atlas skills, Cartographical skills, Graphical skills, Statistical analysis and various field work techniques.
* denotes topics studied in Year 12
- Field Work: Students must complete 4 days of fieldwork over the 2 year A-level course. This may be completed locally or during a residential trip. We have in the past visited FSC centre in Snowdonia and Dale Head in the Lake District.
A minimum of Grade 5 or above in Geography and English Language.
Awarding Body: AQA
There will be 3 elements to the final A-level grade:
- Physical Geography Exam (2 hours 30 minutes written exam worth 40%)
- Human Geography Exam (2 hours 30 minutes written exam worth 40%)
- Geographical enquiry (individual enquiry and 3000 word report 20%)
At AS you will complete 2 1.5 hour exams but no geographical enquiry.
Students are requested to purchase their own revision guide (£9.00) and text book (£29.00). Fieldwork (usually 4 days) is an integral part of the course and we ask for contributions of up to £40.00 (approx £10.00 per day) towards the cost.
Geography is a dynamic, interesting and relevant subject regarded highly by Russell Group universities as a “facilitating” subject. Those who study Geography at A Level can go on to follow wide ranging careers from accountancy and environmental consultancy, to teaching, research, town planning, and Environment Agency roles.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bingley Grammar School directly.