Health & Fitness - Level 2 Diploma (Fitness Instructing & Group Exercise) at Redcar & Cleveland College
To achieve this qualification, candidates must complete a total of 6 mandatory qualifications:
- Certificate in Fitness Instruction – Working with real-life clients in a gym-based setting. You will carry out health screening and fitness monitoring tests, instruct and demonstrate safe and effective use of gym equipment whilst working on a one-to-one basis
- Award in Instructing Kettlebells – You will be introduced to the advanced way of training and instructing by planning and delivering practical based kettlebell sessions on a oneto-one basis
- Award in Instructing Circuit Sessions – An old-school way of training and instructing through planning and leading circuit training sessions. Your enthusiasm and leadership as an instructor will be tested when delivering a group exercise session using a wide-range of fitness equipment
- Award in Adapting Fitness Instruction for Adolescents – Your learnt fitness instructing skills will be put to the test in the second semester as you develop ways to adapt exercises safely for young adults. Here you will plan and prepare a group exercise session to lead with one of the college’s sports teams
- Certificate in Delivering Physical Activities to children Under 5 – Volunteering opportunities and competitions with local primary schools will give you the experiences of planning and delivering multi-skills activities to children under 5
- Certificate in Activity Leadership – Similar to the Sports Leader Award that some schools offer, this gives you an excellent opportunity to plan and deliver sports coaching sessions to mixed-ability groups whilst gaining a leadership qualification at the same time
This course really is unique. How? Well… It is the only Fitness Instructing Qualification valued by local and national employers that gives you a total of six industry-recognised qualifications within ONE YEAR… Yes, SIX! That’s not all… Upon completion of the course you immediately have the tools for employment in the fitness and leisure industry with your jam-packed CV. Private-sector health clubs and leisure facilities are waiting patiently to give you the job!
Suitable candidates should have 4 GCSE’s at grade D or above, including English, or a relevant Level 1 qualification with a Merit average. An interview will be required. Alternative entry to the course would be subject to a successful interview and initial & diagnostic test results, as well as learners possessing a basic understanding of health, exercise and fitness.
You will be assessed using a range of methods such as practical observations, course work and 2 internal exams. Ultimately, you will build a portfolio of evidence throughout the whole year to achieve the qualification.
Learners are expected to purchase either the standard sports kit (hoodie, performance t-shirt and shorts) or the Football Development Centre academy kit (if applicable), not both. It is expected that this will be worn during all practical sessions that you participate in. Further details on what items to purchase, how to purchase, costings, sizes and colours will be made clear when you come to enrol on the course.
Upon completion of the course, the following progression opportunities are accessible to you:
- Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (recommended)
- Employment as a fitness instructor within the industry
- Group exercise instructing (kettlebells and circuit training)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Redcar & Cleveland College directly.