Introduction to Animal Care (Level 1) at Capel Manor College
This introductory course will give you the basic knowledge required when caring for animals and the opportunity to gain practical skills. You will:
- develop practical experience looking after animals: feeding, handling, health checking and maintaining their accommodation
- learn how to work with and handle animals safely
- learn how to keep animals healthy and spot signs of ill health
- study the conservation of wild animals and the variety of ways we work with animals in society
- complete a work experience placement.
The course is ideal for young people who prefer practical learning and adults who are looking for a new career. The support and guidance received on this course will help build your confidence and enable progression to the next level.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 2 GCSEs or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- enthusiasm for working with animals
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete a screening test so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to an Animal Care Diploma (Level 2), Dog Grooming Assistant Certificate (Level 2) or an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Animal Care (Level 2).
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.