Sport BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate at Reigate College
This stimulating and challenging vocational course is for students who intend to study for a degree or follow a career in Sport and Recreation. It covers a wide variety of topics including the theory and practical aspects of sport. This is a two year course, equivalent to one A Level.
This is a vocational course designed to develop both knowledge and practical skills in the broad field of Sports, Leisure and Fitness. Over the two years the core units will include:
* Anatomy and Physiology
* Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
* Professional Development in the Sports Industry
* Sports Leadership
Study is a mixture of theory and practical activities which are designed to reinforce classroom learning.
Students will need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including GCSE PE or Science and a minimum grade 4 in GCSE English Language or a C in English Literature or History.
This course is designed for individuals with a genuine interest in sport and good sporting general knowledge, as much of the course will involve linking the theory learnt to sporting examples. Successful students will be highly motivated and able to consistently meet coursework deadlines.
Students will not be directly assessed on their sporting ability. However, there are practical elements of the course that require students to be motivated, enthusiastic and willing to take part.
This course is assessed through coursework consisting of written assignments, presentations and practical assessments with video analysis, plus external exams and assessments.
The exam board for this BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate is Pearson BTEC.
Studying Sport at Reigate could lead to:
- a degree in Sports Studies, Sport and Exercise Science, Sports Management, Sports Injury or Rehabilitation
- a career as a PE teacher or Sports Coach
- a career working within the Fitness Training Industry, Leisure Centres, Sports Development and Coaching are also popular, as are careers in Sports Therapy
- apprenticeships within the sports industry for example within Fitness Training, Sports Marketing
Even if students don't intend to pursue a career in sport, the course develops:
- transferable skills such as team work, leadership experience, and confidence and communication skills that will help students excel in all manner of careers
- a life-long passion for sport and a healthy lifestyle that will compliment any future career choices
BTEC Level 3 Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma in Sport students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In recent years, these have included:
- a trip to Wimbledon to investigate the safety procedures in place at the tennis tournament
- an opportunity to participate in wheelchair basketball
- a team building assault course
- a trip to Airhop in Guildford to explore sports leisure development
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.