Travel & Tourism AS A2 at Kingsthorpe College
The AS in Travel and Tourism offers your the opportunity to develop a range of practical skills and an in-depth knowledge and understanding of travel and tourism and its component industries. The compulsory units also introduce you to business concepts and practices, such as Customer Service, but always within the travel and tourism context. Nevertheless, the travel and tourism industries are not all about business activities. You will be given the opportunity to develop necessary skills and knowledge in travel and tourism by studying tourist destinations (both in the UK and aborad), tour operations, travel services, or tourism information services.
Students taking AS courses in vocational subject areas learn to work responsibly and, with the support of specialist staff, are expected to take control of their own learning. Examples of ways in which you may be asked to learn are:
- working on your own or as part of a team
- doing short projects and longer assignments
- looking into processes and products and organising events
- through research trips and visits
- Unit 1 - Introducing Travel and Tourism - external assessment
- Unit 2 - Customer Service in Travel and Tourism - portfolio assessment
- Unit 3 - Travel Destinations - portfolio assessment
The double AS consists of units 1 to 3 above plus three optional units such as:
- International Travel - external assessment
- Working Overseas - portfolio assessment
- Tourist attractions - portfolio assessment
The three A2 units for the single Advanced are:
- Unit 9 - Tourism Development - external assessment
- Unit 10 - Event Management - portfolio assessment
Plus ONE optional unit from:
- Unit 11 - The Guided Tour - portfolio assessment
- Unit 12 - Ecotourism - portfolio assessment
- Unit 13 - Adventure Tourism - portfolio assessment
- Unit 14 - Cultural Tourism - portfolio assessment
For the double A2 award you will take units 9 and 10 plus:
- Unit 15 - Marketing in Travel and Tourism - external assessment
- Unit 16 - Human Resources in Travel and Tourism - portfolio assessment
Plus TWO optional units from 11 to 14.
To begin AS Travel and Tourism you need to have at least 5 GCSEs grade C or above.
Assessment for two thirds of the units is via the portfolio of work; in the remaining units you will take examinations.
As part of the course you will be asked to participate in a residential experience. This is generally to a location which provides case studies for particular aspects of the course.
For further information please contact Hilary Blackman.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingsthorpe College directly.