Health and Social Care OCR Level 2 Diploma at Hertford Regional College
A career in Health and Social Care could lead to you supporting the elderly in your community, helping the homeless or people who have mental health, learning or physical disabilities, to name but a few areas. This course will give you a good understanding of what is required in the Health and Social Care sector including; individual needs, anatomy and physiology, creative and therapeutic activities. Once a week, you will put the skills you’ve learnt into practice at your work placement. Successful completion of this course can lead on to taking a level 3 qualification or you can enter the workplace.
You will be introduced to a range of social care and child care settings. The course consists of two core and two mandatory units plus four optional units, including:
Our placement coordinators organise appropriate student work placements, which all students are expected to attend. Students will need to be able to make the travel arrangements necessary for them to attend these.
- Vocational Experience
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Creative and Therapeutic Activities
- Human Lifespan Development
- A minimum of 164 GCSE points including English (at Grade D or above) and Maths.
- Alternatively an Introductory Diploma or a foundation child care qualification can be included in your points along with English and/or Maths
- A successful HRC Disclosure and Barring Service check is required. You must demonstrate suitability to work with children and adults, show empathy and a keen interest in working with and helping others, along with good communication and interpersonal skills.
The course is assessed by externally and internally set assignments and marked and externally verified. Students are also assessed on their performance in the workplace.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2016. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2016, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last three years, and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). However, fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). You will be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee, materials fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.
- Progress into employment in a care environment, as a day care assistant, health care assistant, or work in residential care (once you have reached the age of 18), in nurseries or within a family setting.
You will also have opportunities to achieve qualifications in the Functional Skills areas of English or Maths. If a Grade D is already achieved, you can resit GCSE English or Maths. You will have the chance to take part in additional activities such as charity fund raising, trips and visits.
What will I need?
Course fees (excluding tuition) for 2015-2016 were approximately £160.00. This amount includes some trips, a course text book, placement polo shirt and DBS Certificate.
Other costs are:
Travel costs to placement
Any additional books
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hertford Regional College directly.