English Language and Literature A level at Shoreham Academy
- Ability to write analytically about a range of texts across a variety of genres and periods. Enhanced knowledge of the linguistic, literary and grammatical aspects of the English language.
- Ability to express ideas and imagined experience in an accurate, sophisticated and interesting manner
Unit 1: Poetry and Prose
Section A: Study of an anthology of 32 poems from 1550-1900 . Section B: Study a 19th century novel which is likely to be Jane Eyre.
Unit 2: Shakespeare and Post 1914 Drama
Section A: Study a Shakespeare play. Probably King Lear. Section B: Study modern play, probably The History Boys.
Unit 3: Non-Literary Texts
Section A: Comparison of three unseen texts, one of which will be a spoken source. Section B: Study of a non-literary text: Once in a House on Fire, a modern autobiography.
Unit 4: Comparative Study and Creative Writing
Section A: Produce an essay on two or more books from a given genre, for example, Travel Writing. Section B: Creative Writing: produce one literary and one non-literary piece based on the genre studied for section A.
GCSE at Grade B in English Language or Literature.
- Unit 1 - 2 hour exam paper
- Unit 2 - 2 hour exam paper
- Unit 3 - 2 hour exam paper
- Unit 4 - Coursework folder: 2500-3500 words
Education, journalism, law, media, business.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shoreham Academy directly.