French A Level at The Wensleydale School & Sixth Form
Students studying French will acquire a high level of proficiency in the language as well as a broad knowledge of French culture.
- Media (television, advertising, new technologies)
- Popular culture (cinema, music, fashion)
- Health (sport, health and well-being, holidays)
- The family and relationships
- The environment (pollution, energy, protecting the planet)
- The multicultural society (immigration, integration, racism)
- Contemporary social issues (wealth and poverty, crime and punishment, science and technology)
- Two cultural topics chosen from the following: a novel, play or film, the work of an artist, a period of history, a region of France or a French-speaking country.
The four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing are practised through the topics. In addition, your knowledge of French grammar will be perfected so that you achieve a high level of competence. You will have access to text books, online resources and a wide range of authentic materials. In year 13 you will be encouraged to take part in a work experience programme in a French-speaking area of Belgium.
The course would equip you for further study of foreign languages or would give you a highly-prized skill for use in a wide variety of careers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Wensleydale School & Sixth Form directly.