Chemistry A level at Campsmount Academy
Chemistry is the study of materials; what they are made of, how they interact with each other and their surroundings and the role they play in living things.
As such Chemistry occupies a central position in science, linking disciplines from mathematics to medicine and affects every aspect of our lives. Our clothes, the paper we write on, the food we eat, even the celebratory drink when exams are over, all have been improved by people studying Chemistry.
In Year 12:
- Module 1 Development of practical skills in Chemistry - an opportunity to develop a range of experimental techniques.
- Module 2 Foundations in Chemistry - taking atomic structure and chemical bonding to a more advanced level.
- Module 3 Periodic table and energy - a closer look at trends in the elements and energy changes in reactions.
- Module 4 Core Organic Chemistry - the basics of Organic Chemistry and how we make new compounds.
- Module 5 Physical Chemistry and transition elements - understanding reaction rates and equilibria amongst other aspects of Physical Chemistry.
- Module 6 Organic Chemistry and analysis - extending knowledge to other groups of compounds and how to analyse and identify the molecules.
In Year 13
- Unit 1 - Rings, Polymers and Analysis
- This unit continues the study of organic Chemistry and how we analyse and identify the products.
- Unit 2 - Equilibria, Energetics and Elements
- Considers the rate and equilibrium of chemical reactions and also the energy changes involved.
- At the end of year 13 students will sit three exam papers.
The choices with a Chemistry A Level are numerous and varied. For example you can continue your studies in the discipline to degree level studying Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Analytical Chemist, Biochemistry and Chemistry with Computer Science. Or you can embark upon one of the many professions for which an A Level in Chemistry is essential, such as Medicine, Chemical Engineering, Dentistry, Nursing and Physiotherapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Campsmount Academy directly.