Retail Apprenticeship Level 2 at Gateshead College
If you like working with people, enjoy meeting new people, have ambition and a passion for delivering good customer service, are happy to work varied hours including weekends, evenings and bank holidays and are flexible a job in the retail sector may be for you. There are many different job roles within the industry and to become an apprentice in this area you will need to secure employment in one of these roles.
Depending on the role you choose you will probably spend most of the day on your feet and you are usually required to work flexibly and your days need to fit in with the nature of the business, therefore it is imperative that you are prepared to work evening, weekend and bank holiday shift patterns.
You will have a high level of public contact, therefore will need to be well presented, clean and take good care of your personal hygiene. You will have the ability to communicate well, be polite at all times and deliver reliable customer service.
You will study:
- Qualification, Credit Framework (QCF) – recognises and accredits your competence in the workplace
- Technical Certificate – demonstrates your technical knowledge and capability and provides underpinning knowledge within retail skills
- Functional Skills– English and Mathematics
You will either attend Gateshead College one day per month for technical and functional skills tuition within the duration of your apprenticeship or have your training delivered on site at the employer’s premises.
You will work towards the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Certificate in Retail Skills or Level 2 Diploma in Retail Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in Retail Knowledge
- Functional English Level 1
- Functional Maths Level 1
There are no set entry requirements for these qualifications. Gateshead College will ensure that you have the potential and opportunity to gain the qualifications successfully.
- A Work Based Learning Assessor is responsible for visiting you in your workplace to assist you in compiling a portfolio of evidence.
- The technical certificate is assessed by knowledge based tests under exam conditions.
- Functional Skills are also assessed by examination and work based assessments.
- Apprentices who have the appropriate GCSE grades, Key Skills or Functional Skills may be exempt from completing the Functional Skills element.
There are no costs to an Apprentice working within an organisation. An employer would have to pay you a wage (minimum of £2.73 per hour for your first year of your apprenticeship programme).
A career in retail can offer you a vast choice of opportunities, leading to management positions in establishments all over the world. The sector is hard work, long hours but very rewarding.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.