Accessibility links

Mathematical Studies *Fees payable* at Brentwood School

Course description

Mathematical Studies is another Standard Level course but with differing topics which is intended for students with varied backgrounds and abilities. In addition to basic topics of Number and Algebra, Functions, Geometry, Trigonometry and Statistics this course aims to introduce students to some “big themes” of more advanced Mathematics such as Set Theory and the Differential Calculus, and to “real world” commercial Mathematics featuring inflation, interest rates and investment schemes. In particular, students will be encouraged to use appropriate notation and terminology, to organise and present data coherently, to understand the significance of results and to express their mathematical arguments clearly. Teaching examples will borrow heavily from real life situations to illustrate the applications of Mathematics, and these often from different countries, particularly when dealing with financial issues. For Mathematics Studies Standard Level there are two terminal exam papers which together account for 80% of the overall assessment. Paper 1 is a 1 hour 30 minute paper of short-response questions and Paper 2 is of the same length but of extended response questions. A GDC is allowed in both papers. Project work makes up the remaining 20% of the assessment.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brentwood School directly.

Last updated date: 04 November 2015

Key information

Venues