Professional Cookery Intermediate Apprenticeship at Colchester Institute
The Professional Cookery programme is designed to give you the relevant training and education required to work within a professional kitchen environment. Learning through practical and theory sessions at College is teamed with work-based experience and training in order to achieve an NVQ Level 2 in Food Preparation and Cooking and a Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles.
he course combines developing your practical and theoretical skills at College, together with experience gained in the workplace.The Professional Cookery Intermediate Apprenticeship course covers:
- Safe, Hygienic and Secure Working
- Environments in Hospitality
- Effective Teamwork
- Food Safety in Catering
- Principles of Maintaining, Handling and Cleaning Knives
- Preparation, Cooking and Finishing of Fish Dishes
- Preparation Cooking and Finishing of Meat Dishes
- Preparation, Cooking and Finishing of Poultry Dishes
- Preparation, Cooking and Finishing of Vegetable Dishes
- Principles of Preparing, Cooking and Finishing of Basic Hot Sauces
- Principles of Preparing, Cooking and Finishing of Basic Soups
- Principles of Making Basic Stock
- Principles of Preparing, Cooking and Finishing of Egg Dishes
- Principles of Preparing, Cooking and Finishing of Basic Rice Dishes
As part of the Apprenticehsip framework you will also study Employment Rights and Responsibilities, and Functional Skills Level 2/GCSEs in English and maths.
Candidates should have a strong interest in the area of hospitality and be able to discuss why they wish to do this. You will need to be committed to your study and be responsible for your own learning. You will be required to attend an interview with the work based learning team and be asked to complete basic skills assessments in literacy and numeracy. Students on this course are required to be employed in a suitable work placement in a restaurant, hotel or catering establishment.
Career pathways may include employment as a chef de partie, sous chef or team supervisor. Progression could be to head chef and general management.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Colchester Institute directly.