Hairdressing Studies level 2 Diploma at Carnforth High School
The Hairdressing courses are ideal for developing skills and knowledge for people wishing to enter the creative world of hair.
Our qualifications offer a unique opportunity to learn an accredited qualification whilst getting hands on experience in a real working environment. Real work experience, which is personalised to each learner’s aspirations and interests, is integrated into the programme and it aims to support young people to:
- develop a broad understanding of the hair and beauty sector
- develop significant knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
- develop academic and study skills that will support progression within the Hair and Beauty sector and more broadly, across the range of sectors.
The art of dressing hair
- The aim of this unit is to develop the creative skill of styling, dressing and finishing hair. Students will need to demonstrate the ability to blow dry, set, put up hair and finish client’s hair using heated styling equipment.
Client Consultation for Hair Services
- Through this unit students will develop the ability to provide an effective consultation and adviso-ry service for clients. Being able to identify the capability of clients’ hair will allow you to make recommendations based on questioning, observation and test results.
Follow Health and Safety
- Students will develop the ability to carry out a simple risk analysis, recognise a hazard, responsibly deal with the hazards found and follow safe and hygienic working practices.
Cut Women’s Hair
- The aim of this unit is to develop your skills to create a variety of basic looks for women using club cutting, freehand and scissor-over-comb techniques. Using these cutting techniques students will demonstrate one length hair cuts (for both above and below shoulder length), uniform layers, and short and long graduation hair cuts.
Colour and lighten Hair
- The aim of this unit is to develop your skills to change hair colour using semi-permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent and lightening products. The use of a variety of colouring techniques such as full head, regrowth and highlighting and/or low-lighting effects.
Shampoo and Condition the Hair and Scalp
- The aim of this unit is to develop skills in shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp using a variety of products and massage techniques. Being able to identify the condition of clients’ hair, skin and scalp will determine which products and massage techniques to use.
The Art of Colouring Hair
- Students will learn how to assess clients’ hair by identifying influencing factors through a variety of consultation techniques. This will enable students to identify the correct products, techniques, tools and equipment to use to suit clients’ needs.
Create an Image Based on a Theme
- Through this unit students will develop the creative skill of using both Hairdressing and Beauty techniques to create an image based on a theme. Students will research media images, plan and develop ideas to create a mood board which will then be presented to others. You will then re-create the image developed using technical hair and beauty skills.
For 7 topics learners will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence consisting of work from observed practicals, photo evidence and knowledge development. Assessment will be through theory work booklets.
For the Create an Image Based on a Theme unit, learners will be required to produce a Mood Board and a final practical piece, which will be shown during the annual Hair Show.
Tunics will be required to carry out assessments within the Hair salon.
All students progressing onto their Level 2 Hair-dressing course MUST purchase a pair of Hairdressing scissors and a manakin head to practice the cutting assessments.
At the end of this year, Learners will achieve a Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing Studies and are eligible to become a graduate State Registered Hairdresser (SRH) with The Hairdressing Council.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carnforth High School directly.