Philosophy & Ethics at Notre Dame High School
This subject is only offered at AS and A2 Level
Philosophy and Ethics gives you the opportunity to study some of the fundamental questions which people have always asked about life: Why are we here? How should we behave? What happens when we die?
Areas of study include:
• Ancient Greek influences on religious philosophy
• Ethical theories (utilitarianism; natural law; Kant, Situation Ethics; Virtue Ethics)
• Medical Ethics: abortion, genetic engineering and embryo research
• Ethics of Justice & War
• Sexual ethics; environmental ethics; business ethics
• The challenges of Science & Psychology to religious belief
• Traditional arguments for the existence of God.
• The Problem of Evil
• Religious Language
How is assessed?
Two exams of one & half hours for the AS qualification in yr 12.
Two exams of one & half hours for the A2 qualification in yr 13.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Notre Dame High School directly.