Site Carpentry or Bench Joinery Level 2 Diploma at City College Brighton and Hove
Carpentry is a rewarding, challenging and creative career. There is a great sense of satisfaction to be gained that
you can create something that is long-lasting and is a testament of your skill and talent to bring pleasure or functionality to someone.
The aim of this course is to provide you with the skills, underpinning knowledge and a broad understanding of the diversity and complexity that is the Construction industry. You’ll explore the roles and responsibilities of the people who work in the industry and the possible career progression routes.
This course is designed to develop your practical skills, knowledge and understanding of carpentry and joinery and the construction industry in general. It explores the built environment and the wider issues of sustainability and the impact the Construction industry has on the environment.
By the end of this course you’ll be confident that you have developed the skills required progress onto the Level 3 Diploma or seek employment in the construction industry.
The course comprises of general core units which relate to; Workplace safety, Sustainability, Construction Industry Regulations, Safe working practices and the opportunity to achieve the Construction Skills Certificate Scheme.
On this course you will:
- Know how to carry out safe working practices
- Carry out safe working practices
- Knowledge of information, quantities and communicating with others
- Information, quantities and communicating with others
- Knowledge of building methods and construction technology
- Building methods and construction technology
- Know how to carry out first fixing operations
- Carry out first fixing operations
- Know how to carry out second fixing
- Carry out second fixing
- Know how to erect structural carcassing
- Erect structural carcassing
- Know how to carry out maintenance
- Carry out maintenance
- Know how to set up and operate a circular saw
- Set up and operate a circular saw
In Addition to the training programme requirements listed above
There are an additional 6 units for the NVQ in Site Carpentry
- Work place Safety
- Install first fix components
- Conform to efficient work practices
- Install second fix components
- Move and handle resources
- Erect structural carcassing components
5 GCSEs at grade D, to include GCSE English and GCSE Mathematics. Level 1 Foundation Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery.
The Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 book by Heinemann is recommended but is not essential.
1. Achievement of each practical unit will be by internal assessment as part of the workshop programme. Each knowledge unit has mandatory series of questions; these are externally set and are assessed internally.
2. A practical assignment set by CAA and controlled by the internal assessor
will need to be successfully completed before accreditation of the
3. In addition an online Knowledge exam covering the core units and
occupational units in which a passed must be accredited to achieve the
4. External assessment of performance evidence will be carried out in
the work place to verify evidence for accreditation of the NVQ
All full time courses are free to EU residents who are under 19 years old on the 31st August 2016. The only fees you have to pay are for specialist resources and equipment and the cost of these varies from £25 to £300 depending upon the subject you are studying.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial help from the college's learner support funds. You should apply for financial support as soon as you receive your offer letter.
Once you have completed this qualification you will be able to progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Bench Joinery.
Alternatively, the Level 2 Diploma is designed to provide learners with the underpinning knowledge, skills and confidence required to apply for employment, within the construction industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Brighton and Hove directly.