Biomedical Science BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at City College Plymouth
This course is aimed at those progressing from the Applied Science Foundation Diploma who wish to specialise in biomedical science. We will build on what you have learnt and expand your skills into advanced level study of science, focusing on human biology and looking at disease, physiology and genetics. You will study in a highly vocational environment within our well-resourced labs where you will be taught by fully qualified and experienced lecturers. The course aims to provide a direct stepping-stone onto higher education courses and is worth UCAS points equivalent to three A Levels. The course offers good connections with a wide range of employers, including the NHS, Plymouth University and the Naval Service Recovery Centre based at HMS Drake.
Mandatory units include:
- principles and applications of science
- investigative project
- contemporary issues in science.
You will choose four optional units from the following list:
- physiology of human body systems
- human regulation and reproduction
- biological molecules and metabolic pathways
- genetics and genetic engineering
- diseases and infections
- applications of inorganic chemistry
- applications of organic chemistry
- electrical circuits and their application
- astronomy and spacer science
- microbiology and microbiological techniques
- industrial chemical reactions
- practical chemical analysis
- biomedical science
- medical physics applications
- materials science
- forensic evidence, collection and analysis
- cryogenics and vacuum technology
- forensic fire investigation
- forensic traffic accident investigation.
You must have successfully completed the Applied Science Foundation Diploma (at least a 'pass' grade) in order to enrol on this course.
You will be assessed via assignments (marked by your lecturers), an exam and a controlled assessment task, which is marked by the awarding body, Pearson.
Upon successful completion you will gain UCAS points which will enable you to progress onto a wide range of higher education courses, including Foundation Degrees at the College. Many past students have progressed to degrees in biomedical science, nursing, paramedicine and chemistry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.