Music - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you passionate about music? Would you like to develop your knowledge, as well as your ability to perform and create music? This course allows you to learn about many different types of classical, jazz, rock and pop music from Wales. You will be encouraged to develop your performing and composing skills, through practical and theoretical work. You will also develop your listening and analytical skills, helping you to engage further with written, performed and recorded music.
The course requires you to have performing skills, to at least grade 3 standard, on a musical instrument or as a singer. You must also be musically literate and able to read music to a good standard.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects or with a BTEC Diploma at Level 3. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students. Both an AS Level and a full A Level are available, so after the first year you can choose whether to continue the subject.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Instrumental/Vocal tuition
- The minimum entry requirement is 5 GCSEs at grade C or above.
- Your qualifications and experience in music will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Written and practical examinations at the end of the year
- A portfolio containing your composition course work.
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions.
If you wish to continue studying music, you could proceed onto an HND or university degree course. Your career options would include working professionally as a musician or singer, working in the music industry, or being employed within the media, education, publishing and theatre sectors.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.