Modern Languages - Spanish at Weald of Kent Grammar School
The aim of the A Level course is to broaden and deepen your knowledge of your chosen language, to enable you to communicate clearly at a higher and more fluent level.
You will also enhance your cultural understanding as the course covers a range of social aspects which affects the principal country in which that language is spoken.
You will hone other transferrable skills such as debating and defending your point view, carrying out independent research, and analysing literary texts.
At Weald of Kent, we have state-of-the art facilities for teaching A Level Languages, including a fully online learning progrmme, use of the digital language laboratory and a dedicated Sixth Form study room.
The content for the new A level is conceived as an integrated study with a focus on language and culture and society and terminal exams at the end of Year 13.
The core topic areas will be:
- social issues and phenomena, such as wealth and poverty, racism and integration.
- Politics, current affairs and history, dealing with such issues as the rise of the right wing .
- Intellectual culture, past and present (Requiring the study of at least two works – one of which must be a novel, chosen from a prescribed list).
Students will also have to complete an independent research project into an aspect of Spanish speaking society or culture, which they will present as part of their speaking exam
For success in Languages a Grade 6 or higher is needed at GCSE. This must include a Grade 6 or higher in the written GCSE papers.
Students will be assessed in three separate exams for
· listening, reading and translation
eassay writing in Spanish
Marks weightings will be as follows:
· Listening 20%
· Reading (assessed through speech and writing) 30%
· Language use 30%
· Culture 20%
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.