Business A level at South Downs College
The course will appeal to those students who:
- Have an interest in how a business operates
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experiences
- Would like to do a subject that offers opportunities for a career in Business
- Would like to learn how to make business decisions and solve business problems
- Want to keep their options open Business can be a useful choice for a wide range of careers and can be combined with a number of other subjects.
- It is a 'real world' A level, and will interest learners with a keen interest in news, current affairs and the wider external environment.
Topics you will study in both years:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision-making
- Decision-making to improve marketing performance
- Decision-making to improve operational performance
- Decision-making to improve financial performance
- Decision-making to improve human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
Topics include the following key theories:
- Competitive advantage
- Digital marketing and e-commerce
- Extended marketing mix (7 Ps)
- Marketing mapping, confidence intervals and interpretation of income elasticity of demand
- Planned v emergent strategy
- Shareholders and share prices
- Stakeholder identification and power mapping
- Strategic drift and corporate governance
A minimum of five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including English Language.
You will be assessed by three two-hour written examinations sat in the second year (June 2017).
This is a Linear A level programme covering a two year course of study.
A good A level pass in a range of subjects will assist you to progress to higher education or appropriate employment.
Business Studies combines well with a range of social science and humanities subjects, in addition to Business related subjects such as Accounts, Law and Economic
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Downs College directly.