Accessibility links

Biology at The Regis School

Course description

The AS Biology course build on the work covered in the year 11 science courses. The course aims to look in detail at a number of exciting biological phenomena and pupils gain a valuable understanding of how life, in a variety of forms, flourishes on the planet. The nature of the course means that experimental work is integrated throughout to embed concepts within real life examples.

At TRS we have experienced teaching in a supportive, but challenging climate. Our modern laboratory facilities provide us with the perfect environment to combine the theoretcal and practical elements of the course. Over the years we have found the best ways to support and develop the independent learning skills necessary for success in 6th form and at university. Beyond the curriculum the department is partnered with the University of Brighton and supports three students a year completing Nuffield research placements in the summer holidays.

Course content

A/S

Consists of 4 main topics:

• Biological Molecules: The role of various key molecules in the preservation of life, including carbohydrates, proteins and lipids.

• Cells: A detailed look at the organelles inside cells, their functions and roles in both healthy and diseased cells and tissues

• Organisms exchange substances with their environment: The role of the cell membrane and the various ways it controls how things move in and out of cells. The roles of diffusion and osmosis in tissues of animals and plants and their key roles in survival

• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms: From the structure replication and coding of DNA and genes to the complex interdependence of living thing within an ecosystem.

A2

Contains a further 4 topics

• Energy transfers in and between organisms: Photsynthesis, Respiration in terms of their biochemical pathways and the flow of energy within food chains

• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments: The sense organs and nervous system, how neurones create signals and how organisms respond to stimuli to ensure survival

• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems: The role speciation plays in evolution, and how communities of organisms change over time to adapt to environments

• The control of gene expression: the role of proteins in the translation of the genetic code into viable and useful products and effects.

Entry requirements

Grade B in Additional Science. Due to the extended nature of Triple Science, students with a C grade in GCSE Biology will be accepted on a case by case basis.

Assessment

AS: 2 written papers comprising 100% of the marks. 1.5 hours in duration

A2: 2 written papers comprising 70% of the marks. 1.5 hours in duration Final written paper has a synoptic element of both years and tests practical skills acquired, comprising the remaining 30% of marks.

Future opportunities

Biological Sciences is one of the most respected A Levels and will be looked upon favourably by any student wishing to follow a path into higher education or employment.

Biology is an obvious route into any science degree from psychology to genetics. Medicine and physiotherapy also require a strong biological foundation.

Biology is also useful for people looking to study law or journalism, as both fields require some practitioners with a more detailed understanding of biology.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Regis School directly.

Last updated date: 31 October 2017