Level 3 Diploma In Computer Games at Leeds City College
Computer games design is more than having a passion for playing them, you will gain the skills to develop, programme and design the games of the future.
Produce your own games and gain a thorough understanding of why existing games work. Learn about the different areas of games development and come up with your own stories, design and game ideas.
Programme 2D and 3D games using industry standard software like Unreal Engine and GameMaker. Design and animate computer game graphics and game assets in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Maya and 3DS Max.
- Digital game production
- Concept art
- 3D modelling/digital animation
- App production
- Game engine scripting
Here is a selection of some of the subjects you will study on the course:
- Digital Game Production - Design and create your own game levels
- Concept Art - Explore creative techniques for designing character and environments
- 3D Modelling - Design and create 3D models
- Specialist Subject Investigation - Explore key issues in the world of game design
- App Production - Understand and use the tools to build your own app
- Game Engine Scripting - Learn to develop computer games using industry standard engines
- 3D Digital Animation - Learn the principles of animation and use industry software to create your own
The computer game industry is growing fast and always changing. Programmers, artists, writers and animators all come together to produce some of the most innovative and exciting work in the world today.
In the end, this course will allow you to develop necessary skills and gain knowledge required to be a part of the multi-billion pound industry, where you will be transforming your game ideas into reality for the players of the future.
If you are part of the new grading system for GCSE we would see a Grade 4 or above as the equivalent of a Grade C in this offer.
Students need one of the following: 5 GCSEs C or above including English Language A level 2 First Diploma at Merit or above including GCSE English Language at C or above or a level 2 Functional Skill in English
- Be able to communicate ideas and opinions in a spoken, written and visual context
- Be confident with computers
- Be able to work as an individual and as part of a team
- Be able to organise themselves and work to deadlines
This Level 3 qualification is assessed via a combination of internal assessment, where tasks are set and marked by your tutors, and external assessment where tasks are set by BTEC and your response to them is marked by BTEC examiners. There are written exams for mandatory units.
Successful completion of this course will lead to the award of an Extended Diploma in Computer Games, which is the equivalent of three A-levels. Most learners progress on to a degree course in areas such as Games Development, Games Design or Computer Programming. The qualification is also excellent preparation for a career in many branches of the computing and animation industries.
Leeds City College offers progression to its own degree in Computer Games, which builds on the skills developed in this course.
English and Maths will be built into your course if your grades are below 4/5.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.