Business Studies A level at Broughton Hall High School
This course will develop many of the key topics studied at GCSE level. However, this does not mean that if you have not studied Business Studies at that level you should not considerthis course. To do well on this course students need to have an interestin the world around themand wantto study a subjectthatisrelevantto their own lives and experiences. This course will provide a good preparation for those wishing to go to university, as it will encourage candidates to acquire a range of important and transferable skills that include:
- Data skills – candidates will need to manipulate data in a variety of forms and interpret their results.
- Making justifications on the basis of available evidence.
- Research skills – candidates will need to research a topic in preparation for Unit 4 of the course.
Students will study 6 units
• What is business?
• Managers, leadership and decision making
• Decision making to improve marketing performance
• Decision making to improve operational performance
• Decision making to improve financial performance
• Decision making to improve human resource performance
Students will study 4 units
• Analysing the strategic position of a business
• Choosing strategic direction
• Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
• Managing strategic change
Students should normally have gained A or B grades in at least 5 different GCSE subjects. Although Business Studies is preferable, it is not essential.
Students taking this course have access to a wide range of higher education opportunities. Many students go on to follow degree courses in Retail Management, Marketing, Human Resources, Accounts and Economics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Broughton Hall High School directly.