Physics A-Level at St Clement Danes School
- To develop essential knowledge and understanding of the concepts of Physics
- To develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- To develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
- To develop interest and enthusiasm in Physics, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- To understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
The Physics course is split into six modules. Modules 1-4 constitute the stand alone AS Level; Modules 1-6, combined with the practical endorsement constitute the full A Level.
The A2 units revisit AS work but in greater depth. In modules 5 and 6 the focus moves onto Astrophysics, Electromagnetism and Medical Imaging. Students are also required to complete a minimum of 12 practical activities to fulfil the Practical Skills Endorsements for Physics.
- Module 1 - Development of practical skills in physics
- Module 2 - Foundations of physics
- Module 3 - Forces and motion
- Module 4 - Electrons, waves and photons
- Module 5 - Newtonian world and astrophysics
- Module 6 - Particles and medical physics
Attain at least a C grade in English Language/English Literature GCSE or Mathematics GCSE. Additional Science: B or Physics: B.
Unit 1 Modelling Physics: 37% of total A Level.
Unit 2 Exploring Physics: 37% of total A Level .
Unit 3 Unified Physics: 26% of total A Level.
Unit 4 Practical endorsement in physics: Non exam assessment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Clement Danes School directly.