Early Years Educator - Level 3 Certificate/Diploma at City and Islington College
Do you want to work in early years childcare and education? This certificate/diploma provides the skills and knowledge you need.
This certificate comprises eight mandatory units, covering the following key subject areas:
- child development from conception to seven years
- children's health and well-being
- providing safe environments for children
- child health
- play and learning
- children's additional needs
- observation, assessment and planning.
You will complete a competence-based Professional Practice Portfolio covering the above areas.
You will also study Maths and English if you do not have a grade A* - C in these subjects.
You will need:
- GCSEs at Grade C or above in Maths and English Language or Literature
- Good references and a successful interview
- A keen interest in childcare
- A good level of spoken and written English, as well as good communication skills
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- To be working, volunteering or on a practical placement
You will complete assignments and externally-assessed online tests.
All of your work must be collected in a portfolio of evidence and cross-referenced to qualification requirements.
An important part of the assessment process is evaluating skills in real working situations. Therefore, the practical work you do in the childcare setting will be observed by your assessor.
After the Certificate you can either progress to the Diploma or a range of supervised jobs in the statutory, voluntary or private sectors, including:
- day nursery practitioner
- nursery school practitioner
- primary school reception class practitioner
- pre-school worker
- home-based childcare worker
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City and Islington College directly.